Monday, August 2, 2010

PowerPoint Presentations

My favorite item during the PowerPoint presentations was Stephen’s Jeopardy game. It was extremely interactive and I hope to use his format for my classes (I need to find out how he linked his categories with the questions!) I also really enjoyed Zach’s use of graphs and pictures to explain how lasers worked because I had no idea what the vocabulary meant and I needed the pictures to understand the concepts. Also, any time humor was used (i.e. - James’ funny animal photos, Carries unicorn video, Zach’s laser dinosaurs) was extremely beneficial and engaging. I think any time bits of humor are present it catches the attention of students who may have zoned out previously and they are engaged in the presentation again.

When the presenter reads notes they have in their hand it is really easy to tune out what they are saying. My suggestion for that is to use the slides as reminders or an outline so that you can still make eye contact and keep the students engaged.

After viewing everyone else’s presentations I would improve my presentation by adding more sound bites and using less text in the last slide. I would also love to add in more graphs and pictures but it would depend on what I was presenting, improve doesn’t really lend itself to graphs.

I love using PowerPoint as a lesson presenter but for Drama class, it would very much depend on what I was teaching. Since most of the content in a class like Drama consists of the students “doing,” I would only use this for presentations like theater history or playwright biographies. I would love to use the Jeopardy idea for my Intro to Theater class for theater vocabulary retention. My only ‘con’ of using PowerPoint is that the students are sitting and listening instead of “doing,” but if I could use it in an interactive way like a game show, I think it would be very beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment